Today’s top story is the terror attacks that left six people dead and almost 50 injured late last night. The Mail reports the attacker’s shouts:
Three Jihadi terrorists have been shot dead by armed police after killing six people and injuring 30 more during a horrific knife rampage in central London last night.
The men, described as being ‘of Mediterranean origin’, shouted ‘This is for Allah’ after they mowed down up to 20 revellers in a white van hurtling across London Bridge at 50mph on Saturday.
Attackers stabbed a police officer on the bridge and then used 12-inch hunting knives to attack revellers at busy bars and restaurants in the nearby Borough Market, in what authorities described as terrorist incidents. One man was reportedly stabbed five times in the chest.
Witnesses said the gang, who had metal canisters strapped to their chests, smashed pub windows and reportedly cut the throats of drinkers. A ‘dark-skinned’ man in a red tracksuit ‘calmly’ stabbed a man three times.
The male suspects were shot and killed by armed police in Borough Market within eight minutes of the first call. The attackers were wearing suicide vests, which turned out to be ‘hoaxes’, police said.
The Sun says:
THREE terrorists wearing stab-proof vests drove a van into pedestrians at 50mph on London Bridge before attacking revellers with hunting knives.
Six people have died and at least 48 have been left wounded following the 10:08pm attack. Staff at a packed pub locked the doors as the gang tried to smash their way in. One man was stabbed five times.
Assistant Commissioner of Met Police Mark Rowley confirmed that all three of the depraved attackers were shot and killed within eight minutes of the first call to emergency services.
A picture taken outside the Wheatsheaf pub in Borough Market shows the three terrorists lying dead – after being gunned down by cops.
Four explosions – confirmed as controlled blasts by the police – were heard outside The Sun offices near London Bridge between 1:23am and 1:49am.
The Telegraph reports that a van was used.
Three terrorists wearing fake suicide vests were shot dead by police early today after a van and knife rampage on London Bridge, in which at least six people were killed.
The terrorists, driving a white van, had ploughed into pedestrians on the bridge before crashing the vehicle and then stabbing people at random in nearby Borough Market. At least 48 people were injured, the London Ambulance Service said. Among those stabbed was a British Transport Police officer who received “serious but not life-threatening injuries” to his head, face and leg.
The incident had echoes of the Westminster Bridge attack in March that left five dead, including a police officer.
The attackers were shot dead, says the Times.
Six people have been killed and almost 50 people were injured in a “rampage” in central London, the third terrorist attack to hit the UK in less than three months.
Three attackers were shot dead by police in the attack on London Bridge and Borough Market. Police said they believed there were no more than three attackers.
A white transit van ploughed into a crowd of people on the bridge at speed shortly after 10pm. The three men then stabbed people with 12-inch knives at nearby Borough Market, with a transport police officer among those injured.
The General Election could be suspended, says the Telegraph.
Politicians are facing calls to suspend the General Election after the latest terrorist outrage.
Within hours of the attack on London Bridge, there were calls on social media for Thursday’s poll to be postponed.
Campaigning by Conservative Party has already been suspended, according to the BBC, and other parties are expected to follow later today.
The demands came as police said that six victims had been killed in the attack along with the perpetrators of the outrage.
The Mail also reports the calls.
Calls for the Government to suspend the election have been launched in the wake of the London Bridge attack.
People have taken to social media to voice their concerns over the country going to the polls on Thursday.
A petition has also already been launched calling for the election to be suspended ‘for the foreseeable future’.
Six victims are dead after three men armed with 12-inch hunting knives stabbed revellers after mowing down up to 20 people with a white van on London Bridge.
There could be more attacks, says the Telegraph.
European security services are bracing for more attacks during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan beginning tomorrow, after Islamic State called on its followers to rise up in an “all-out war” on “infidels” in the West.
Last Saturday marked the start of a 30-day period of fasting and reflection in the Islamic world, which has in recent years seen a large uptick in Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) terror attacks.
“Muslim brothers in Europe who can’t reach the Islamic State lands, attack them in their homes, their markets, their roads and their forums,” the jihadist group said in a message entitled Where are the lions of war? and published on YouTube.
And the Star claims there could be other terrorists on our streets.
COPS gunned down three terrorists suspected of killing six people in London on Saturday night but still fear others could be at large.
The Met believes the three dead men were behind the bloodshed on London Bridge and at Borough Market.
A picture emerged showing man with gas canisters strapped to his chest on the ground.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said police are working to establish if there are any more attackers still at large.
Armed police and cops in riot gear have been prowling the capital overnight hunting a suspect.
The Met issued the alert used in situations with active suspects at large.
In other news, it seems that pollsters are reporting a wide variety of results in their research. The Telegraph claims the Conservatives are in the lead.
The Tories are pulling away from Labour as the election finish-line approaches, according to an exclusive poll that has the Conservative lead at nine points.
A Labour surge throughout May appears to have been reversed in the last week, according to The Telegraph’s election tracker.
Some 45 per cent of voters now back the Tories, according to ORB International – up one point. Labour is on 36 per cent – down two points.
That means that the Conservative hold a nine-point lead going into the final week of campaigning, up from six points a week earlier.
But the Independent reports the Tories’ lead is now a single point.
The Conservatives’ lead over Labour has been cut to a single point, according to one new opinion poll, amid a range of different predictions by pollsters five days ahead of the General Election.
Survation for The Mail on Sunday put the two main parties virtually neck and neck, with the Tories on 40 per cent and Labour on 39 per cent.
With less than a week to polling day, the poll shows a six point fall in support for the Tories since their last poll two weeks ago, while Labour are up five points.
The Liberal Democrats are unchanged on eight per cent, while Ukip are up one on five per cent, according to the poll.
But the findings contrast sharply with a ComRes poll the same day, which suggest the Conservatives still have a healthy 12 point advantage over Labour.
ComRes has the Tories up one on 47 per cent and Labour also up one on 35 per cent, with the Lib Dems on eight per cent and Ukip on four per cent — both unchanged from last week.
And the Mirror reports there’s just a single point in it as well.
Labour is now just one point behind the Tories in a dramatic new poll five days before the general election.
The Survation poll puts the Tories on 40% with Labour on 39%.
This is an astonishing collapse in the Conservatives’ poll lead, which stood at 24% near the start of the campaign, according to some organisations.
The survey was carried out today to take into account the impact of last night’s BBC Question Time leaders special .
Survation, which carried out the poll for the Mail on Sunday, said: “The Conservative lead over the Labour Party going into the final week of the general election campaign has been cut to just one point.
The Express also has the same result.
THE TORIES’ lead over Labour has shrunk to just a single point, a new shock poll claims.
This showed Mrs May’s lead had fallen sharply from a lead of 12 percentage points in the previous Survation poll published on May 21.
The new poll shows support for the Conservatives at 40 percent, down six percentage points, with Labour on 39 percent, up five points.
The online poll of 1,049 people was carried out on June 3.
Two other polls showed the Tory lead slipping, down to seven points with Opinium and four points with YouGov.
Labour is six points behind the Tories, says the Guardian.
The Conservative lead over Labour has shrunk to six points in the latest Opinium poll for the Observer, as Theresa May’s personal approval rating sank ahead of the final week of campaigning.
The research showed a two-point rise for Labour over the past week, which means the party has narrowed the Tories’ lead in the polls by more than 13 points since the start of the campaign.
Growing support for Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour, which has been signalled in several polls over the past seven days, has coincided with a major drop in support for May.
The Mail reports a comment from the Prime Minister.
Britain will become the ‘laughing stock of the world’ if Jeremy Corbyn wins Thursday’s General Election, Theresa May warns today.
She denounces the Labour leader’s ‘chilling’ refusal to say that he would defend Britain against a nuclear attack and claims that if Mr Corbyn becomes Prime Minister, Britain will face the ‘calamity’ of a return to the 1970s.
In an article for today’s Mail on Sunday, Mrs May evokes the spectre of the notorious 1978-79 ‘winter of discontent’, where widespread strikes under a Labour Government brought the country to a standstill.
If Labour wins the General Election, their Brexit minister will lead talks, says the Independent.
Sir Keir Starmer will take the lead in face-to-face Brexit talks with the EU’s top negotiator if Labour wins the general election this week.
The role would see Sir Keir and his team sitting down in Brussels with Michel Barnier, tasked by EU chiefs to run negotiations, while taking direction from Jeremy Corbyn in London.
Labour hopes its “team approach”, set out in an exclusive interview with The Independent, contrasts favourably with Theresa May’s claim that she will personally head Brexit talks as her own ratings slip.
It also marks an attempt to draw attention to what Labour insiders believe is the public’s poor opinion of ministers on the Conservative Brexit team – David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox.
The Express reports a warning by the Tories’ Brexit minister.
VOTERS have just five days left to make sure Britain leaves the EU, senior Tory Cabinet minister David Davis warned last night.
In a dramatic intervention in the election campaign, the Brexit Secretary warned a vote for Labour on Thursday could lead to a second referendum on Britain’s membership.
“There are five days to save Brexit,” Mr Davis said.
“If we don’t get a Conservative government after Thursday then the prospect of us ever leaving the European Union is seriously at risk. We will not get the outcome that the people voted for last year.”
In Liverpool, there was a violent march, says the Sun.
TWELVE people have been arrested at an EDL march in Liverpool after darts and flares were thrown as anti-fascist demonstrators halted the city centre protest.
Officers clad in riot gear kept the two groups separate outside Liverpool Lime Street Station as anti-fascists sat in the street and refused to move, halting the march.
As EDL marchers, who walked from a city centre pub, arrived in the road loud bangs were heard and videos showed smoke and flares rising from the crowds.
Others have reported seeing eggs and other items thrown as 12 were arrested.
Pictures from the scene showed a small group of EDL members with England flags surrounded by cops in helmets and on horses
The Star also reports the violence.
VIOLENT scenes erupted in Liverpool as English Defence League protesters clashed with anti-fascist demonstrators, resulting in 12 arrests.
Shocking pictures emerged of the far-right group scrapping with demonstrators as they marched through the city centre.
The march by the EDL was in protest “against radical Islamic terrorism” and had been planned to take in the city’s Lime Street Station.
But the demonstation quickly descended into chaos after the group of 30 right wing protesters arrived in the centre.
Images showed them clashing with United Against Fascism (UAF) counter protesters who were stood outside the train station.
Sky News reports on the possible return of our father-figure.
Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage has hinted he will return to front line politics in two years’ time if Brexit is “unfinished”.
Mr Farage was speaking to Sky News on Saturday ahead of a General Election campaign meeting with UKIP supporters in Ramsgate – the conclusion of a two-day tour of Kent and Essex, where the party has previously found strong support.
Asked if he regretted not standing as a candidate in this election, Mr Farage said he did not.
But when quizzed on whether he might be tempted to run for UKIP leader once again, he said much would depend on Theresa May.
“Would I rule out ever coming back to the front line again? That depends on whether this Prime Minster delivers,” Mr Farage said.
“If she does as well with Brexit as she did as Home Secretary with immigration, then ask me that question in two years’ time and I may well say, ‘Do you know what, the job’s unfinished’.”
The Telegraph reports comments about the ‘Trojan Horse’ plot to infiltrate schools with radical Islam.
The former head of Ofsted has lambasted the “incompetence” of the body that recruits and disciplines teachers, the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL), after the collapse of cases against the ringleaders of the “Trojan Horse” plot.
Speaking after misconduct cases against five former Birmingham school leaders were thrown out last week, Sir Michael Wilshaw said: “NCTL has always been and still is incompetent. The good work by Ofsted has been wasted and the safeguarding of children in Birmingham and beyond has been put in jeopardy.”
The five included Monzoor Hussain, former head of Park View, the school at the centre of the plot, and Razwan Faraz, former deputy head of Nansen, a linked school.