Latest from UKIP Daily

Saturday papers – 8 April 2017

Syria bombs

The consequences of US President Trump’s decision to send bombers to Syria is covered in several of the media. The Telegraph says:

The United States has warned Russia that it was prepared to take further steps in Syria after a day of mounting tension between Moscow and Washington.
“The United States took a very measured step last night,” Nikki Haley, the US ambassador, told the UN Security Council. “We are prepared to do more, but we hope it will not be necessary.”
The US military fired 59 Tomahawk missiles from the USS Porter and USS Ross warships in the Mediterranean Sea at the al-Shayran air base near the western city of Homs early on Friday morning, which the Pentagon said was used to store chemical weapons.
Donald Trump, the US president, announced the attack from his Florida resort, Mar-a-Lago, where he was meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping, after at least 86 people including 33 children were killed in a nerve-gas attack in rebel-held Idlib province earlier this week.

The Times reports a Russian warning.

Moscow warned that the United States was “one step away from military clashes with Russia” yesterday when President Trump targeted the Assad regime in Syria with the greatest show of American firepower in more than a decade.
The stark assessment by Dmitri Medvedev, the Russian prime minister, came as he said that relations with Washington had been “completely ruined” after Mr Trump retaliated against the Syrian use of sarin gas on civilians this week.
US officials were investigating whether Russia had colluded in the gas attack, and in the subsequent bombing of a field hospital treating victims.

And ITV News claims the bombing could continue.

The US has warned the Assad regime it is prepared to take further action in Syria after attacking an airbase with missiles.
Russia has condemned the UK-endorsed strike Donald Trump ordered in retaliation for Tuesday’s alleged chemical weapons attack.
Syrian President Bashar Assad’s office denounced the strike as “reckless, irresponsible behaviour”.

The Star reports we are heading towards World War 3.

DONALD Trump is ‘one step away’ from starting World War 3 after firing cruise missiles at Syria, the Russian Prime Minister has claimed.
The US fired 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at Syria after Bashar al-Assad launched a brutal gas attack on his own people, including children.
NATO allies have praised The Donald for taking an active approach against the brutal Assad regime.
But Syria’s allies, Russia and Iran, have denounced the attack, with Putin warning their strikes could have “extremely serious consequences”.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said the strikes had left the US “on the verge of military clashes with Russia”.

And the Mail has the same warning.

The Kremlin has warned the US it is ‘one step from war’ over Syria – but the Trump administration hit back by saying it would be prepared to carry out airstrikes again.
In the first direct American raid on Bashar al Assad’s forces, President Trump authorised the firing of 59 cruise missiles at a military airfield.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev denounced the US for attacking ‘the legitimate government of Syria’ and for allegedly breaking international law without the approval of the UN.
Mr Medvedev said: ‘This military action is a clear indication of the US president’s extreme dependency on the views of the Washington establishment, the one that the new president strongly criticised in his inauguration speech.’

The Sun reveals the damage caused by the US missiles.

SATELLITE images have revealed the damage wreaked by Trump’s 59-missile blitz on a Syrian airbase, amid news Vladimir Putin has promised to bolster Syria’s air defences.
The Russian president has sent out the nation’s Black Sea Fleet’s frigate, the Admiral Grigorovich, to the Syrian port city of Tartus in the Mediterranean, according to Russian news agency Tass.
Russian PM Dmitri Medvedev said the strikes were illegal and had been “one step away from military clashes with Russia”.
Relations with Washington had been “completely ruined”, he added.

And the Star claims the Russians have sent a warship to the area.

A RUSSIA warship armed with cruise missiles is rushing to the aid of president Assad just hours after Donald Trump rained missiles on a Syrian airbase.
Vladimir Putin has dispatched Russian frigate the Admiral Grigorovich to a Syrian military port in the wake of the US missile attack.
Russian military officials confirmed the warship is marauding towards a “logistics base” in the port of Tartus.
A Moscow war chief told TASS the massive battleship would arrive in the Mediterranean today.

But the Labour Party is split over the US’ action, reports the Independent.

Labour splits over military action in the Middle East have been torn open after senior party figures backed US missile strikes in defiance of Jeremy Corbyn.
After the Labour leader criticised the strikes as risking enflaming the Syrian conflict, a string of former shadow cabinet members voiced their support for action.
Hilary Benn, whose departure from the frontbench sparked a leadership challenge against Mr Corbyn, said he hoped Syrian dictator Bashar Assad might now “think twice” about using chemical weapons, while ex shadow minister Michael Dugher mocked his leader’s “slow response” to the strikes and Mary Creagh accused leftwingers of preferring “inaction..to stopping a murderous tyrant”.

And Sky News says this is the reason the party did not respond to the attacks immediately.

It took the Labour Party some hours to come up with Jeremy Corbyn’s response to the US air strike on Syria. And no wonder.
Military intervention in the Middle East is a tortuous issue for the British Left, with the shadow of Iraq still looming large over it.
Mr Corbyn is not conflicted. His response was the only one we could have expected from the veteran anti-war campaigner – condemnatory.
He said the strike “risks escalating the conflict in Syria still further” and called for new peace talks – which his critics say have been tried and failed for the past six years.

BBC News says the leader and deputy leader are in disagreement.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has criticised US air strikes against Syria – putting him at odds with the party’s deputy leader Tom Watson.
Mr Corbyn said the US should not have acted without United Nations backing.
But Mr Watson told The Birmingham Mail the US strikes “appear to be a direct and proportionate response” and chemical attacks on civilians “must have consequences”.
The UK’s Conservative government has said it “fully supports” the US action.

Our former leader Nigel Farage has criticised the US strike, reports the Independent.

Nigel Farage has criticised Donald Trump for the first time following the US President’s order for military action in Syria.
The former Ukip leader who enjoy close ties with Mr Trump said he was surprised by the move and thought the President’s supporters would be wondering “where will it all end?”.
He warned Prime Minister Theresa May against following the Americans into another military intervention in the Middle East.
Mr Farage has been hailed by the US President, who asked the Ukip leader to speak at election campaign rallies, as well as inviting him to become the first British politician to meet him after his shock victory.
But following the missile strike on the Syrian airbase, anti-interventionist Mr Farage said: “I am very surprised by this.

The Mirror also reports opposition to the US president’s decision.

Some of Donald Trump’s biggest fans – including Nigel Farage – are upset with him this morning, after he bombed an air base in Syria.
Many of his most vociferous backers during the presidential campaign appeared to feel betrayed that he had ditched his apparent isolationist stance on foreign conflicts.
Ultra-conservative firebrand Ann Coulter wrote the media would be thrilled that Trump was “destroying his presidency”, adding: “Those who wanted us meddling in the Middle East voted for other candidates.”
Paul Joseph Watson, a far-right conspiracy theorist and vlogger, wrote: “It’s been fun lads, but the fun is over. I’ll be focusing my efforts on Le Pen, who tried to warn Trump against this disaster.”

Breitbart reports Farage’s ‘concern’.

Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage has expressed concern over “supporter and friend” U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s decision to approve the launch of 60 U.S. Tomahawk missiles on Syria’s Shayrat air base in south-east Homs.
“I have to say, I woke up to this news this morning very, very surprised. And I think a lot of Trump voters will be scratching their heads hard and asking, ‘where does this go from here?’” said Mr. Farage Friday morning, speaking on the LBC radio network.
The MEP told presenter Nick Ferrari: “I’m a Trump supporter and friend, and one of the things that I think helped him gain votes was the idea that we shouldn’t endlessly get involved militarily in the Middle East without fully thinking through the implications of what we’re doing.
“I think back to Libya a few years ago and, unarguably, we’ve made the world worse as a result of our intervention.”

And the current UKIP leader, Paul Nuttall, has also condemned the attack.

Paul Nuttall, the UKIP leader has condemned the missile attack on Syria as, “rash, trigger happy, nonsensical and will achieve nothing.”
“The whole world rightly condemns the use of chemical weapons in Syria, but the US attack on the Assad regime does nothing to lower tensions, nor will it hasten peace in that country.
“Too often rash responses to horrific situations are about the conscience of the attacker, rather than a clear-headed response to an awful situation.
“There are currently no good options in Syria. Assad or ISIS is not a choice anyone would wish to make. But firing off missiles in an enraged response shows weakness not strength in the face of horror.
“I hoped for better from this administration.”

Brexit

In other news, the Express reports on the latest bid to scrap Brexit.

CHIEF Remoaner Gina Miller is preparing to front a new centrist campaign in another bid to frustrate Brexit and tie Britain to the bloc.
Ms Miller, who made headlines after defeating the Government in the Supreme Court battle to give Parliament a Brexit vote, is set to publicly launch new company ‘UK-EU Open Policy Limited’ as she plans to campaign against the Prime Minister’s Brexit plans.
Her team of Europhile campaigners are planning to pressure Theresa May into negotiating a soft Brexit by pushing against border restrictions and demanding as much access to the single market as possible.
Speaking to the Financial Times, Mrs Miller defended her decision to keep battling the Government’s Brexit plans.
She said: “We’ve somehow ended up in this place where that whole premise of the will of the people has somehow made everyone else impotent.

The Times also reports the plans.

The campaigner who defeated the government in the courts over Article 50 is preparing to front a new centrist campaign to block a hard Brexit.
Gina Miller, who won a Supreme Court battle in January to give parliament a say in approving Brexit, has joined forces with luminaries from business, the arts and the charity sector to campaign against Theresa May’s plans for leaving the EU.
UK-EU Open Policy Limited, which was incorporated last October, is backed by Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group and is due to launch publicly within weeks.
Campaigners want to put pressure on Mrs May to negotiate a so-called soft Brexit, with as much access to the single market as possible and few new restrictions on immigration.

A senior Brexiteer has warned of prospective sabotage by the EU, says the Express.

A SENIOR Tory MP has urged the Government “to keep a close eye” on new EU laws during Brexit talks.
Sir Bill Cash warned over the next two years, in which the UK will negotiate its departure from the Brussels-based bloc, it is “as important as ever” for Parliament to closely inspect new EU diktats.
The Government have promised to Brussels the UK will abide by all EU rules before the country formally completes its exit.
But Sir Bill urged UK officials to be “readier” than ever to vote against new Brussels proposals amid fears they could restrict Britain’s options post-Brexit.

But the Bank of England is preparing for the UK to leave the EU, says the Guardian.

The Bank of England has given financial firms a deadline of 14 July to explain how they are planning for the UK’s departure from the EU and warned them to be ready for all possible outcomes, including a hard Brexit.
The Bank wrote to hundreds of banks, insurers and other financial firms on Friday ordering them to get contingency plans in place. The move follows prime minister Theresa May’s triggering of article 50 last week, formally launching the Brexit process.
Bank governor Mark Carney said central banks and financial firms should be planning for “all eventualities” as he used a speech in London to call for an open financial system between the UK and the EU post-Brexit (pdf).

The Green Party claims Brexit will hurt the environment, says the Express.

BREXIT poses an unprecedented threat to the environment, Green Party co-leader Jonathan Bartley will claim.
Mr Bartley is to put at the heart of his party’s local election campaign a new Environmental Protection Act to replace 
EU legislation.
Launching the campaign today, he will say: “
Brexit is an unprecedented threat to the environment and puts 40 years of legislation at risk.
“These laws protect our air, water and climate and they affect everyone in the UK who values our natural world.”
More than 90 per cent of people in the UK live within 12 miles of a site protected under the EU’s nature laws, according to research by conservationists. 

The party’s views are also reported by BBC News.

Brexit poses an “unprecedented” threat to laws protecting the environment, the Green Party is to warn at the launch of its local election campaign.
Co-leader Jonathan Bartley said: “These laws protect our air, water and climate and they affect everyone in the UK who values our natural world.”
He wants a new Environmental Protection Act to replace EU legislation.
The government says EU environmental protection rules will be copied across into UK law to ensure continuity.
But environmental campaigners fear the government will start scrapping them after Britain’s exit from the EU to cut red tape.

Gibraltar

It looks like the Spaniards are getting stroppy over The Rock, says the Sun.

BORDER controls between Spain and Gibraltar have been stepped up in a scheduled move by the EU’s Schengen zone as friction over the British territory increases.
The Spanish interior ministry has said it has intensified controls at the crossing point to Gibraltar, a rocky outcrop in Spain’s southern tip, in line with rules introduced today for boosting security on the Schengen perimeter.
Britain and it territories are not part of the Schengen agreement, whose 26 signatories have also scrapped internal border controls.
The interior ministry said in a statement: “The Spanish authorities have taken timely measures to limit the inconvenience that stronger controls may cause, thanks to new technological systems and additional personnel at the busiest points.”

No ‘man’

The Mail claims students have forced a council to scrap ‘man’ titles .

Politically correct councillors have been accused of indulging in ‘student union politics’ after getting rid of all titles that use the word ‘man’.
Instead of chairman and vice-chairman, Labour-run Harlow Council in Essex will use the ‘gender neutral’ terms ‘chairperson’ and ‘vice-chairperson’.
It is believed the decision will also apply to other workers, so a groundsman, for example, will become a ‘groundsperson’.
Tory councillor Shona Johnson tried to get the motion scrapped, but failed as the Labour majority passed it.
She said: ‘I have no problem with being called chairman, nor does it demean me as a woman. Once this language police starts, where will it stop?’

Face veils

Across in Europe, the prospect of scrapping face veils is being debated, says the Independent.

The European Parliament’s biggest political grouping has said it supports the introduction of a European Union-wide ban on Islamic face veils.
The European People’s Party adopted the measure as an official policy at its annual congress in Malta this week, claiming that the ban should be introduced “both for reasons of security and because seeing one another’s faces is an integral part of human interaction in Europe”.
The EPP, a centre-right liberal conservative grouping, holds 216 seats in the 751 member European Parliament and is affiliated with major governing parties such as Angela Merkel’s CDU, the French Republicains and Spain’s People’s Party.

Halal

The Mail has a disturbing story of Halal slaughter.

One of the largest halal slaughterhouses in Britain is being investigated over allegations of animal cruelty.
Undercover filming claims to show a slaughterman repeatedly sawing at the necks of sheep with a knife as they pass down a conveyor belt.
The animals appear not to have been killed instantly – as should be the case – and some were seen fitting and jumping as they went down the line.
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has now launched an inquiry based on the footage. It has taken steps to ban the slaughterman involved and could bring a criminal prosecution.
In theory, halal slaughter is designed to meet the religious requirements of the Islamic faith, which forbids the stunning of animals prior to having their throats cut. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Debbie
About Debbie (584 Articles)
Debbie has been a journalist for longer than she cares to admit! She has been freelance for the last 15 years and is an associate editor on UKIP Daily, specialising in covering the morning press each day.

3 Comments on Saturday papers – 8 April 2017

  1. Brexit could pose an unprecedented threat to life on earth according to the “Planetwatch” Party spokesperson J.Fartley. She/he warned that the disturbing atmospheric signals given off by the controversy over Britain’s separation from the EU could attract the attention of hostile alien life forms cruising in the stratosphere. “Alien life forms could be looking for signs of confabulation, conjecturalism and contumaciousness on this planet and decide to attack while such contentiousness was occurring,” claimed Mx Fartley. “It would be yet another unforeseen consequence of allowing ordinary people to make decisions about the future of their country and taking a leap in the dark, or even into a black hole,” he/she insisted.

    When asked to comment, the Arch-Remainer him/herself, G.Moaner, said he/she would welcome alien life forms arriving to help control the intransigent humans known as Leavers. “We’ve somehow ended up in this place where that whole premise of the will of the people has somehow made everyone else impotent,” Mx Moaner complained. “I think it’s what they call ‘Democracy’, but that’s always been an alien concept to me.”

    (Every effort has been taken to conceal the gender of those quoted in this report, as per the council regulations abolishing the word ‘man’ or ‘woman’, and in compliance with the transgender belief that indicating a person’s gender is an intrusive insult.)

  2. I wish I could link to the video clip on Twitter of all the ‘corpses’ laid out after Assad’s attack – some fed up with being under their white shrouds, visibly moving around. And the clip of the same man being shown as a casualty in three separate attacks. It’s all a con, folks – by the White Helmets, who may well have killed some to make it even more real. But the good news is, many aren’t dead.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*